We are delighted to be able to offer valuable coaching opportunities to Contest participants, with assistance from the Freemasons Foundation and Trinity College London
Coaching in 2018
Would your group like an extra special boost in its preparation for the Contest? Do you need feedback on your composition before you submit it for the Contest?
Coaching is available for both Instrumental Performance groups and for entrants into the Original Composition section. Specialist tutoring for all combinations of instruments may be available. Due to the large number of participants, we are not able to offer coaching to all ensembles / entrants who apply, however we are continually introducing more opportunities for coaching and mentoring via skype / internet sessions with qualified tutors.
What is involved?
Around 100 instrumental groups from around the country will be selected to receive a masterclass/workshop in May, prior to the District Contests in June. Composers who send in their draft score will receive feedback on their work from a professional New Zealand composer.
Who can apply?
Anyone can apply. All groups and composers entered into the Contest, regardless of standard or ability will be considered for coaching. All original compositions are automatically eligible for Composition coaching.
How to apply?
- Enter online. Entries are open NOW until 2 April 2018.
- Tick the box on your application indicating whether you would like to be considered for Instrumental Performance coaching or Composition coaching.
- Instrumental Performance Coaching: Please ensure all group members and tutors are aware of the application for a coaching masterclass/workshop and the timeframe this will take place (May 2018).
- Composition coaching: You must send in your draft score (Sibelius file or PDF preferred) to email@example.com no later than Friday 6 April 2018. It does not need to be polished and complete, but must be detailed enough to allow for meaningful feedback. (note: the deadline for submission of final scores for judging is Monday 14 May 2018).
- The deadline to apply for all coaching is close of entries, Monday 2 April 2018.
What happens next?
- You will be advised by Friday 27 April 2018 of the outcome of your application for Instrumental Performance coaching.
- Instrumental Performance coaching will take place May 2018 so if you tick ‘yes’ to coaching, be prepared!
"We are lucky to have coaches.The group worked, performed and laughed together. And really thoughtful discussions have taken place."Parent of 2017 contestant who received group coaching